Spider and Bird Control & Cleaning
Whether on your boat, patio or enjoying any outdoor activity, spiders and birds can be a challenge to your environment. Learning to live with and control these creatures as well as cleaning up after them is the topic of this article.
Suggestions for curbing or eliminating spiders in your environment:
Living with the birds
- Install screens on any location where spiders might make their way inside your home or boat
- Sealing and caulking of crevices where spiders might slip into your space
- Removal of trash, boxes (that attract spiders) and any unnecessary items that provide a home
- Clean up dead insects that spiders can feed on
- Clean and vacuum regularly
Whether it is on your back patio or on your boat, we co-habitat with many birds everyday and for most people they enjoy having them around. Like spiders, they play a part in the balance of nature. At the same time, that stuff they leave behind is lethal and can carry a long list of diseases that are not good for human contact.
To minimize the droppings follow a few simple tips:
What the spiders and birds leave behind – the cleaning dilemma:
- If you are going to feed birds, keep the feeder far away from the patio or decking
- Do not feed birds next to your boat or your back stoop of the house
- Keep trash to a minimal and covered so it does not provide a feeding ground
- Eliminate nesting and roosting areas close to your house or your boat
- If you have a true problem with too many birds in your living space, contact a professional
Regardless of what you do, if you are in an environment where spiders thrive you are bound to find those little black “spots” left behind on surfaces. Birds too, deposit on your house, car, boat and other surfaces.
Although, for most people they talk about the inconvenience of these deposits, do remember that they can be toxic as are any fecal remains. It is important to clean up what nature leaves behind, particularly on surfaces that come in contact with humans. That means boat cushions, playground equipment, patio furniture and railings are of particular concern.
Considerations and suggestions:
First Choice Marine Suggests:
- As with any cleaner, it is important to have an effective cleaner, as well as a cleaner that does not emit toxins that are lethal to humans, pets and the environment. Always follow directions provided by the manufacturer.
- Both the gifts left behind by spiders and birds can be like concrete over time so be sure you attend to these issues promptly. Both types of waste are very acidic and if left on surfaces for long periods of time can actually cause damage to the surface.
- In the case of bird droppings, even after using a cleaner or wetting them down it is important to remove them safely. It is usually suggested you wear gloves and do not casually try to sweep these droppings causing them to go airborne.
- For spider droppings, again they require wetting down and safe removal of the droppings and applied cleaning solution selected.
22 fl. Oz Trigger Spray
Repels spiders with this non-toxic alternative to lethal insecticides. When sprayed on their lairs, creepy crawlers take a hike and don’t come back. Use during warm months in locations where spiders like to nest.
Spider & Bird Stain Remover
- Shoos spiders away without harming them
- Non-toxic, safe for the planet
- Keeps messy spiders away from your boat, house, garage and garden
- One application lasts 3-6 months
- Safe for use around pets and children
- Safe for use on all surfaces
22 fl. Oz. Trigger Spray
- Quickly dissolves messy spider and bird droppings
- Non-toxic, all natural formula
- Contains no bleach; safe for use around kids and pets
- Will not remove polish or wax